Personal Legal Services

Civil Partnership & Divorce Solicitors

Our team of expert divorce solicitors will help guide you through all the legal complexities and proceedings involved in a divorce, or civil partnership dissolution. To speak to one of our divorce solicitors, fill in our contact form or call us on 0161 665 3502.

We understand that getting a divorce can be an unsettling and emotionally challenging time for many. Rest assured that our legal experts have 30 years of experience in handling civil partnership and divorce proceedings. We treat all of our clients with the highest levels of professionalism and discretion.


What is the purpose of a divorce, or civil partnership?

A divorce is the legal ending or dissolution of a marriage between two spouses. Even though the two partners may already have separated, a divorce terminates their marital relationship legally.​​ If you live in England or Wales, you may also legally end your civil partnership by applying to the courts for a dissolution order. This will legally and permanently end your civil partnership. You will need to apply to the courts and state that your civil partnership has irretrievably broken down.


Who can get a divorce or civil partnership dissolution?

In England and Wales, you can get a divorce if one of the following applies: 

  • You have been married to your wife or husband for one year or longer.
  • Your marriage is legal in the UK, meaning both heterosexual and same-sex married partners can get a divorce.
  • You and/or your wife or husband are a permanent resident(s) of the UK.
  • Your relationship with your wife or husband has permanently broken down.

If you have been in a civil partnership for more than one year and are a British citizen, you may enter a civil partnership dissolution. Your immigration status may be affected if you are not a British citizen (

How can Garratts’ divorce solicitors help?

At Garratts, we will guide you through all elements involved in a divorce and represent you at court. We understand that this can be a very difficult time for you and your family and will discuss all matters with the greatest degree of confidentiality and professionalism.

How can I get a divorce in 2023?

To get a divorce in England and Wales from 6th April 2022, you will be able to apply to the courts for a no-fault divorce. 


What is a no-fault divorce?

From 6th April 2022, the previous five grounds for divorce will no longer apply. This means you will be able to get a divorce without having to prove any wrongdoing by your spouse. You will simply need to state that the marriage has irretrievably broken down.

There will be a minimum 20-week waiting period with a no-fault divorce before the court grants a conditional order (Decree Nisi), followed by another 6 weeks to receive a Decree Absolute, the final court order to legally end your marriage.


I’ve been in a civil partnership for less than a year. Can I still apply for a dissolution order?

You may get a legal separation if you have been in a civil partnership for less than one year. You and your ex-partner may live apart if you’re legally separated whilst legally still being in a civil partnership. 


How can I dissolve a civil partnership via a no-fault dissolution order?  

To dissolve a civil partnership in England and Wales, the court will require you to state that your relationship with your civil partner has irretrievably and permanently broken down. 

The no-fault civil partnership dissolution coming into effect on 6th April 2022 will allow you to dissolve your civil partnership without needing to prove any grounds.


For a civil partnership dissolution, how does a conditional order differ from a final order?   

A conditional order marks the first stage of your civil partnership dissolution by which the court confirms your application and agrees that there is no reason why you should not be able to end your civil partnership. If that is not the case, you can apply for a hearing during which the judge may still grant you a conditional order. 

Before you can apply for a conditional order, seven days will have to have passed since your civil partner received their copy of the dissolution application form. The waiting time to receive a conditional order is usually about 20 weeks.

The legal document marking the second stage of the dissolution is also known as a final order for which you may apply six weeks after receiving your conditional order. A final order application has to be made within 12 months of the conditional order being issued.


How to apply for a divorce

If you wish to apply for a divorce, you will need to have the following documents:

  • Your spouses’ full name and address.
  • Your original marriage certificate or certified copies. Please note that you will require a certified translation if your marriage certificate is not written in English.
  • If you have changed your name since you got married, you will need to prove this.


How much does it cost to apply for a divorce?

You will need to pay a non-refundable application fee to the HM Courts and Tribunals Service when you apply by post or online. The application fee is currently set at £593 for divorces in England and Wales. If you want to instruct us to assist you with your divorce, our fees will be in addition to the above.


How long does a divorce take?

The complexities involved in your divorce and whether or not your spouse agrees will determine the duration of the entire process. The party receiving the divorce will generally be sent an ‘acknowledgement of service’ form for your divorce application between 10 and 28 days after submitting it. 

It is unusual for divorces to take over a year to complete, as most divorces are straightforward. It is unusual for them to be defended, in which case they should not last longer than 6 months from beginning to final decree (Decree Absolute). However, we may advise you to delay finalising the divorce until the financial issues are complete. Cases may exceed this timeframe where the other party does not respond to the divorce, and personal service is required. (This extra work will incur additional fees.)


Do finances and child arrangements form part of a divorce?

Financial settlements will come into play when proceeding with a divorce. The effect of a divorce has a significant impact on a family’s financial situation both now and in the future. A divorce allows spouses to pursue financial orders or create a clean break between them. Before going ahead with a divorce, you should seek advice concerning finances.

Children arrangements do not form part of the divorce, and you may also seek legal advice from your solicitor regarding arrangements for any children you have with your spouse. To speak to our team of solicitors, call us on 0161 665 350.


Why should I choose Garratts to help with my divorce or civil partnership dissolution?

Garratts Solicitors is the largest Legal Aid provider in the Oldham area and has a wealth of experience and knowledge in dealing with Family Law matters, including divorce and separation. If you have decided to divorce your spouse formally, contact our team of expert divorce solicitors on 0161 665 3502 or fill in our contact form.


Personal Injury
Mental Health Review Accreditation
Children Law
Criminal Defence Service