We may be a nation of animal lovers, but unfortunately animals can be unpredictable and cause thousands of injuries each year.
If you’ve been injured by an animal and its owner didn’t take reasonable precautions to protect you, then you may be able to make a claim for personal injury compensation.
The most common types of animal injury are caused by dogs, but other animals such as horses, exotic pets, or farmyard animals can cause injury too.
When it comes to dog attacks, the action we recommend will depend on whether the particular breed of dog is covered by the Dangerous Dogs Act.
Even if the dog is not classed as a dangerous dog, you may be able to make a claim, particularly if the owner was aware that the dog could be aggressive but had failed to control it properly.
Claiming Compensation For Dog Bite Injuries
Follow these steps:
- Report the incident to the Police. You may not be the first victim. Remember to get the crime/accident reference number
- Identify the owner and provide the address
- Obtain the contact details of all witnesses
- Obtain photographs of the injury/scarring as soon as possible
- Find out if the animal has attacked anyone else
- Keep a note and receipts of all your expenses such as travelling expenses to and from the hospital /GP and prescription charges
- Contact the local dog warden
- If the accident occurred whilst in the course of your employment, make sure you report the accident to your manager and complete an accident on duty form
No Win No Fee Dog Bite Injury Claims
Even if you cannot take all of those steps, you should still contact us as we may be able to help. With our free first advice promise, we won’t charge you a penny for an initial chat to find out if you may be able to claim compensation. So call our Oldham office today on 0161 665 3502 to see how we can help you, or start your claim online.
We are personal injury specialists who have your best interests at heart and provide a convenient, local service.