Being attacked or assaulted is an upsetting and distressing experience that often results in physical or psychological injuries.
If you’ve been the target of criminal attack, our criminal injury specialists are here to offer the guidance and support you need. We can help you make a claim for compensation as well as providing practical help and legal advice.
Can I Claim If the Perpetrator Is Not Caught?
Even if the person who attacked you hasn’t been caught - or isn’t in a position to pay damages - you may still be able to make a claim through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA). This government organisation makes payments to the victims of violent crimes and at Garratts we have worked successfully with the CICA to claim compensation for many of our clients.
CICA has a two year limit to make a claim after any criminal incident, so make sure to contact us quickly to get your claim started.
You cannot claim twice for the same injury, we can help you choose between a civil or CICA claim.
How to Make a Criminal Injury Claim
If you are a victim of crime you need to:
- Report the incident immediately
- Report the incident fully to the police. It is essential your injuries and evidence are formally reported and you must insist all is on record
- Seek medical care and treatment, if needed
- Co-operate fully with the police and with the CICA
- If your conduct contributed to the incident and your injury or if you have a criminal record, the CICA may take this into account when assessing your claim, although you may still be entitled to an award
We take a personal, local approach to personal injury claims. We provide Free First Advice so you will not be charged for discussing the details of your claim with us, and our personal injury work is done on a No Win No Fee basis.
Contact our Personal Injury Solicitors on 0161 665 3502 or start your claim online.