Personal Legal Services

Military Injury Claims

Our Personal Injury Solicitors in Manchester & Oldham specialise in military injury claims. Most of the claims we handle have a No Win No Fee agreement.

When working in the military profession, it isn’t uncommon for accidents and injuries to occur outside of combat situations. Suppose you had an accident and got injured while serving in the armed forces including the Army, Royal Navy (RN), Royal Air Force (RAF), Army Reserve or the Ministry of Defence (MOD). In that case, you may be eligible to claim compensation. At Garratts, our team of highly experienced personal injury solicitors have assisted many servicemen and servicewomen with their military injury compensation claims. 


What types of military injuries can I claim compensation for?

You may claim compensation for any type of mental or physical injury and illness resulting from your time serving in the armed forces. This also includes military injuries and illnesses arising from service-related activities such as exercise or pre-existing health conditions which worsened during your time in service. 

Common types of military injuries include:


How much compensation will I get for a military injury?

The amount of compensation you or your family member will get depends on when the injury or accident occurred, and the cause or circumstances of your illness. Tax-free lump sum payments range from £1,236 to £650,000 if your military injury happened during service after 5th April 2005. However, if it happened before 6th April 2005, then you will either be awarded a pension, providing your disability assessment is 20% or more; or if less, you will receive a lump sum. Exact amounts will vary depending on the severity of your injuries.


What if I suffer from a serious injury or illness as a result of my time in the military?

If that is the case, you may be eligible to receive a tax-free monthly payment, also known as the Guaranteed Income Payment (GIP) once you’re discharged from the army. How much you’ll get will depend on various factors including your salary, age and the severity of your injury.


Can I claim compensation under The Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS)?

If you or your family member suffered from an injury or illness on or after 6th April 2005, they might be able to claim compensation under the UK government’s Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. Get in touch with our personal injury team if you would like to find out more.


What is the process for making a military injury claim?

At Garratts, we will offer you a free initial consultation. Next, we will review your case and advise you as to whether we think you will be able to claim compensation. We will accrue all evidence required to support your claim and inform any liable third parties and arrange an independent medical examination report. We will carry out all negotiations and represent you in court if required.

Why choose Garratts Solicitors for my military accident or injury compensation claim?

Our team of legal experts have many years’ experience with military injury claims. Provide us with all your details so that we can get your claim started quickly and don’t worry, we will guide you through every step of the process, making sure you get the best outcome possible. Contact us on 0161 665 3502 to discuss your claim, or fill in our contact form. We offer all of our personal injury services on a No Win No Fee basis.


Personal Injury
Mental Health Review Accreditation
Children Law
Criminal Defence Service